Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Music to my ears



Annika has been picking up the violin lately. I am now wondering if I should have signed her up for The String Project. Erika participated in this program in 3rd and 4th grades and even though she ultimately put the violin down and picked up flute, she leaerned a ton and I think it is at least partially why she has done so well with flute this year. She tried out for honors band and was selected as 1 of 12 flutes for her grade level district wide. Initially I was unsure if giving up violin was the right choice, but I am now certain it was. I never have to suggest she practice her flute, unlike her time with the violin when it seemed I had to remind her quite often. Certainly, some of her unwillingness to practice was because she was only in 3rd grade, but flute is her instrument, and I am glad she is part of the band community. Such a great group of kids. We'll see if Ani's interest continues. There is always next year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that it's wonderful that she is expressing herself via music. I'm hoping that my son will do the same, although I'm a little concerned that he appears to love electric guitars as much as Daddy. I may have to buy ear plugs.