Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Hokey Hallmark Holiday. Or not?

I have long considered Valentine's Day to be sort of a hokey Hallmark day. When Ole and I first started dating I recall fighting the crowds and going out to dinner on Valentine's Day, along with everyone else it seemed. It is bizarre attempting to celebrate a romantic dinner on the same evening as so many others. I quickly realized that I would much prefer to celebrate the anniversary of our first date(which falls right around Valentine's Day) or our engagement or any other more personal date for just the two of us.

Since having children, we have made Valentine's a family affair. It is a great excuse to fix an extra special dinner at home, break out the good china, and have a bottle of wine or sparkling grape juice. Tonight we dined on scallops, tuna that had barely touched the frying pan, zucchini, yellow squash, blueberries, and chocolate covered strawberries. In my opinion, any reason to celebrate is a good one, even one as "hokey" as Valentine's Day.

No comments: