Tuesday, January 6, 2009

For the love of Toys



Happy New Year! It has been a while since I have posted:) I think it is because I have been busy playing with my new toy I received as a Christmas gift. Now I will finally be able to get some good action shots of the kids, and try some other fun things I have enjoyed watching others do, but have only wished I could try myself. I am a bit overwhelmed switching from a point-and-shoot camera do a digital SLR. I am determined to learn how to use this thing properly.

Speaking of toys, a piece of poorly written legislation is threatening to end the handmade toy business as we know it . As it is written, most small businesses will financially not be able to comply with the stringent testing requirements. Please visit the Handmade Toy Alliance and read for yourself. Please voice your opinion and let congress know they should reevaluate the impact this will have on small businesses. I fell in love with handmade wooden toys when my girls were very small, and now enjoy giving them as gifts and collecting them for future generations. I for one would be very sad if toymakers were unable to sell their wares because of this.

We haven't been up to much. The kiddos are back in school. We have weathered a stomach bug, enjoyed an unseasonably warm day or two prompting pick-up street soccer games, and hugged the warmth of our wood stove the very next day as temperatures plummeted back to January norms. Where is the snow, though? That is my question. I won't be ready to move on to spring until I have had a proper winter. I'm keeping my finger crossed for a good 8 inch snowfall in the next couple weeks...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh you are so going to love your new camera Angie :-)

I think that the snow is visiting us in the U.K at the moment. It's very, very cold and we've even had some flutterings of snow over the past few days.

Tina said...

I like your pics. AND, I'm still drooling over your new camera. A Cannon Rebel--very nice! Digital SLR's are so awesome. I've got a little Kodak one that is a few years old. I love it so much more than the old point and shoot cameras!

Ang said...

I forgot to ask you if you got a tripod as well. Looks like you are on your way with these great shots. Hobby Lobby has their photo frames 50% off this week!! ha ha

Amy Jerke said...

Angie,
I'd be happy to help you! I've been wading through photography books and my manual since I got my digital SLR last May. It's a whole new world with a nice camera. If you ever decide to come to Crafy Mamas, let me know and bring your camera too! Or maybe we could find a way to meet up another time.
Amy

Angie said...

Lucky you - Carol! I'd give anything for snow. If it is going to be cold, it might as well be snowing, in my opinion.

Hi Tina! It is a lot of fun, a definite learning process, though!

Ang - I have a small tripod from my old camera. I think it will work with this one, I'll have to try it out.

Hi Amy! Glad you stopped by and thanks for the offer for help! I have been meaning to make it to a crafty mama night, but haven't yet. When I do work it in, I will definitly bring my camera:)