Thursday, April 17, 2008

On birthdays and morels...



12 years ago this afternoon Erika was born easily after a few hours of labor and a few minutes of pushing. The spring of 1996 was very much like this Spring - very wet. It also proved to be a terrific morel foraging season. I recall Ole staying home with us a few days after Erika's birth and taking the opportunity to spend time foraging for the elusive morel mushroom. He came home with the "mother load" that year. I didn't eat many morels that year, I was unsure about morels and how if would affect my breastmilk and a nursling only a few days old. It probably would have been just fine, but I was a cautious first time mama! We joke that we took more pictures of the morels than newborn Erika. Either way, 1996 was a fantastic year! Now I associate Erika's birthday with the beginning of Morel season here in mid-Missouri. Happy morel hunting and happy Birthday Erika!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Erika !!!!