Ole and I cut out of work a few hours early this afternoon. We heard from reliable sources that the elusive morel mushroom was indeed up(thanks for the tip brother David).
We loaded up the bicycles and headed for the river. The first half-hour I thought the only thing I would successfully find was stinging nettle, but then, I spied one. You know what they say, where there is one, there are likely more. This would prove to be correct as I quickly picked about 10 smallish grey ones and excitedly tracked Ole down to show him my find.
We continued onward and headed to a ravine that I think must be one of the most beautiful spots in the county. It is the property of one of Ole's engineering professors from MU, and he has given us permission to hunt there each spring. Again, we found several small greys, in a spot that we remember having larger yellows. Ole and I agreed that it must still be a bit early, which means perhaps we have another couple weeks to look for the tasty fungi.
Our haul was a modest one, enough for our family to have as a side for dinner, but we are encouraged, and can't wait for the next Spring afternoon we can cut out few hours early.
p.s. stay tuned for my miserable poison ivy post 4-5 days from now when I discover I should have indeed worn long pants and shoes instead of capris and sandals on our expedition.
2 comments:
Very nice finds. As a fellow mushroomer, I always enjoy tales of the hunt. The morels are getting big in the river bottoms, so the hills and ravines should still be good for a few weeks. Make sure you get back out there in a week or so. I bet you'll find those big yellows you remember.
I've never tasted morels..
Isn't it nice to be finally able to get out in some warmth and sun? We all felt blessed to finally have some of that in England today too :)
Post a Comment