
So, what will it be? A real or artificial Christmas tree? For me, the answer has always been simple. I love the symbolism and tradition of bringing greenery indoors during the cold, dark month of December. I like to reflect on the fact that it is an ancient custom, probably carried on by my European ancestors for hundreds of years. Our family very much looks forward to our annual excursion to search for the perfect(or not so perfect) tree, which hopefully will happen this Sunday.
Beyond the aesthetics of a real vs. artificial tree, there is also the environmental impact to consider. Which is "greener"? This has been debated, and from my reading the conclusion is that purchasing a real tree from a local tree farmer is the most sustainable option. Most years this is our practice, however, there have been years that we have ended up purchasing a previously cut tree from one of the many tree lots located in town during December. These trees most likely traveled many miles to arrive here, and obviously the farmers are not local. Still, this option is probably more sustainable than an artificial tree.
So, what is the problem with artificial trees? First of all, they are not biodegradable and will one day end up discarded and in a landfill. Next, and just as troubling if not more is that artificial trees are manufactured using a polyvinyl chloride (or PVC), which is a petroleum-derived plastic. The raw material for fake Christmas trees is both non-renewable and polluting. Also, PVC production results in the emission of a number of carcinogens, such as dioxin, ethylene dichloride and vinyl chloride. Additionally, in order to make the PVC needles on artificial trees more malleable, the manufacturers use lead and other additives that have been linked to liver, kidney, neurological, and reproductive system damage in lab studies on animals. The Children’s Health Environmental Coalition warns fake trees "may shed lead-laced dust, which may cover branches or shower gifts and the floor below the tree."
All I can say is, Ick. I know my children probably crawled around beneath an artificial tree or two, and no, it likely won't be the artificial trees that kill us off in the end, but joking aside, it is a choice and something over which we have control. My choice is the healthy and sustainable option.
3 comments:
Oh, no! I didn't know all that. My hubby is allergic to the real thing. I wonder if there anyone out there that makes a "green" artificial tree...
I'm choosing a real tree. Our cats love it and we do also! your blog looks cute!
waaaah, I'm all guilty about my artificial tree in the attack now... maybe it's time for me to reconsider? ;-)
Post a Comment