Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Older and Wiser


I am quickly approaching 36, which doesn’t bother me all that much. It helps to live with someone older than you by a few years;) Of course I notice things about the aging process, but there is really not much I can do to change some of the things I am noticing. I see the occasional freckle or spot showing up on my face or hand that wasn’t there before. I have my Dad’s fair skin, and notice that my arms look more and more like his due to sun exposure. And I don’t mean sun over-exposure, just general being outside sort of sun exposure. I abandoned sun bathing years ago because I know I get enough sun in the other activities I do outside. I also noticed a first gray hair a couple months ago, which I can’t lie, shocked me a bit at first. Again, having a partner that began graying as a teenager is helpful;) The rogue hair was discovered at work, and after discussing it with several coworkers who are in their late 20’s, and their revelations that they too had discovered a grey hair or two, I concluded I would likely not be totally gray in a few years.

As you have become older and wiser, what are some of the things you do for your health? I am curious and would like to hear some gems of wisdom from other folks. Obviously eating healthfully and moderately, and exercising several times per week are critical, but are there any specific things you do that you think contribute to your continued health and well being? Please share – here are a few things I’d like to mention:

Green Tea – I love the stuff. Iced or hot, I drink several cups each day. I have noticed that since I began consuming green tea regularly a few years ago, I rarely get a stomach virus. It also aids in digestion. Why? It is rich in catechin polyphenals, particularly epigallocatechin gallete, which is a powerful anti-oxidant, antiviral, and antibacterial.

Omega 3 supplements – I take 1000mg per day combined EPA and DHA. I began taking this supplement 5 years ago after I had a horrible(horrible, makes me shudder to think about it) experience with natural progesterone cream, which I was using in effort to conceive, which sent me spiraling into a depression and anxiety. I had never been depressed before, but now consider it one of those periods that despite how unpleasant, helped me grow tremendously. Omega 3’s helped me get past that, and besides the benefit to your brain, it helps with cardiovascular health, and the health of your skin.

Dry bristle brushing – Just a few months ago I began using a dry bristle brush on my body every morning prior to bathing. It is a fabulous exfoliater and I saw results immediately in the smoothness and suppleness of my skin. It also stimulates the lymphatic system and aids in detoxification, and is a great pick me up first thing in the morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too drink green tea, but I tend to add a lot of honey to it because I struggle with the natural taste of it. I really should drink more of it for the health benefits. I take multi vitamins and Echinacea and occasionally take Bach flower remedies, especially when my period is due. I like the idea of the dry bristle brush and must see if I can find one to use for myself.

Peace

Angie said...

If you like mint, I would recommend Moroccan mint green tea. It is wonderful both iced and hot, and the mint gives it a little something to cut the green tea taste.